I’m working my way through the third edit of my novel. I’m just over 50% through and I’m SO BORED OF EDITING! I know that I need to keep on going AND JUST FINISH THE DAMN THING but it is very difficult to find the motivation. This is how I’m trying to keep going:
1) Reminding myself that I have spent almost 3 years working on this novel. Only 4 months of that time involved actually writing the initial story. If I give up now that is 3 years wasted.
2) Remembering why I want to finish in the first place. If I stop now, I’m just someone who likes writing rather than someone with a completed novel.
3) Giving myself a deadline. I want to be finished with it by the end of the Summer so I can move on and write something else for a while.
4) Rereading ‘On Writing’ by Stephen King, my favourite no nonsense book about writing: ‘Stopping a piece of work just because its hard emotionally or imaginatively is a bad idea. Sometimes you have to go on when you don’t feel like it, and sometimes you’re doing good work when it feels like all you’re managing is to shovel shit from a sitting position.’
5) When all else fails, think of Ryan Gosling!
If anyone has any other suggestions that have worked for them, hey, pass them on.