This week, you won’t actually be adding anything to your story. Instead, you’ll be completing a task that will help you to be a better writer.
Now, I cannot take credit for the following task. I once attended a creative writing weekend with M.J. Hyland and Trevor Byrne and this was one of the tasks we were given to do in order to write about your character more convincingly.
I’ve completed 14 of these for every single character of my novel (even minor ones) and it does make a difference.
Answer the questions in your character’s voice. (As if you were your character)
Section A Likes and Dislikes
1) List three things you enjoy doing
2) One thing that you love but would never tell anyone.
3) One thing you really, really hate…
4) List three things you are carrying in your pocket/handbag.
Section B About You
1) Where do you live?
2) Do you have a job? If so, what do you do? How do you feel about it?
3) Do you have any significant relationships? (married, single, mummy’s boy, brother, sister, parent, carer, dog owner, a pet tiger?)
4) Religious Beliefs (staunch Christian, devout follower of Dawkins, sun-worshipper…)
5) Politics (Are you old enough to vote? Are you interested in what’s happening in the world around you? Or do you have too many of your own problems to deal with to care about anyone else?)
Section C Do you…
1)…believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen one? If you don’t believe, why not? What about UFO’s or the Loch Ness Monster or other supernatural forces?
2)…have any unusual talents?
3)…dream? If so, what about?
4)…have a favourite television programme? What is it?
5)…ever feel alone?
Section D And finally…
1) Where do you see yourself in the future? Do you have hopes or dreams?
2) What’s your worst fear
3) Tell me about a turning point in your life. What/who definitively changed the course of your life? Was this for better or worse?